nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Picking apples

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Picking apples
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:33:40 -0500

Doug wrote: "Reputedly apples left on trees after leaf fall will cause a decrease in the tree's cold-hardiness if it is at all marginal. "

Wow, I never thought about it, but I'll bet it would. It's certainly true that citrus varieties that ripen fruit in the winter are not as cold hardy as those that get done early so they can go dormant. If you live in a climate where you need your apple trees to shut down completely to deal with very cold winters, I would not leave fruit on the trees after the leaves fall. Donna