nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw beer?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw beer?
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:34:22 -0500

There is a recipe for a pawpaw wheat beer at http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31379 .  Perhaps this will be helpful. --

Sam Brungardt

From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of R. Keith Etheridge
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 9:27 AM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] pawpaw beer?

As mentioned in the cider revival link , people have and do make alcoholic beverages with what's available. To simplify it, wine is made from the fermentation of fruit and

beer is from the fermentation of grain. This is   not absolute, as there is persimmon beer and I think sake is made from rice.As I now have an abundance of pawpaws,

I searched the internet for a pawpaw beer recipe. I could find none. In the NAFEX persimmon book there are three persimmon beer recipes from early America. On the

internet there several primitive beer recipes. Ten days ago I developed a recipe substituting pawpaws for persimmons using an Afro-American slave recipe with modifications. Six large pawpaws mashed with a cup of cornmeal baked to a loaf,cooled, put in a gallon container with eight honey locust  pods , broken in small pieces,

, a slice of toast and a packet of baking yeast and covered loosely.Water was added to make a gallon. Its kept on a plant propagation mat at 78 decrees.It seems to be

fermenting ok and most of the solids have sunk to the bottom. According to the recipes it will be evaluated in 20 days.Beer or slop? As I took biochemistry in "48 as

freshman in vet school at the University of Illinois.Suggestions welcomed.

Keith central Illinois