nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Canning grape juice?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Canning grape juice?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:55:05 -0700

I agree with Lon that fresh is better.  To save freezer space, you can make uncooked concentrate. Fill a plastic bottle with grape juice, leaving enough headroom.  Freeze.  Invert the bottle into a jar and let it melt.  The ice with the greatest concentration of stuff-other-than-water will melt first; this is grape concentrate, and will leave water ice behind.  A quart of juice will yield a cup of concentrate.  Freeze and use just like the canned stuff.

Second best, make fresh grape juice, heat to simmer, sweeten to taste, can and boiling-water-bath can for 30 minutes.

Third best:

Weigh the grapes and put in a pan.  Add 1 cup of boiling water per 7 lbs. of grapes (enough to cover). Simmer about 10 minutes without boiling.  Strain through a juice bag.  Refrigerate for a day or two and strain again, to remove sediment.  Return the juice to a simmer and sweeten to taste.  Process in a boiling-water bath for half an hour.

The ranking of best-to-less-best is based on my own experience, but seems to be a consensus.

~ Stephen