nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Canning grape juice?

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Canning grape juice?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:32:15 -0500

Hi all,

Does anyone have suggestions on canning grape juice?

If my memory serves, last year I brought the stemmed grapes to a near boil (no extra water), strained, and added a 1/2 cup of sugar per  quart, then put the hot juice into sterilized jars.  I didn't process in a water bath.  No one died.  Does this method seem OK or is there another way to do it---preserving maximum flavor.

loneroc
SW WI USDA zone 3, where I'm feasting on figs these days, and my potted peaches are nearly ripe.