nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rosehip

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rosehip
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:22:15 -0400

I don't know about North Carolina, but Robert Osborne of Corn Hill Nursery in southern New Brunswick, who grows many hardy disease resistant roses, recommends two rugosas for hip production:

1. Dart's Dash

2. Fru Dagmar Hastrup

He no longer ships to the U.S., but Fru Dagmar Hastrup at least should be readily available.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov wrote:
I love rosehips but have been disappointed so far trying to produce them
here in NC.

I planted a Rosa rugosa var: dwarf pavement for rose hips. I had good
production the first year of mediocre fruit, then the plant started
getting foliage problems and the rose hips would mummify instead of
developing normally. I am about to remove the plant.

Is there any disease resistant, low care rose someone would recommend
for tasty rosehip production in the humid southeast?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC