nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn olive, invasive? Maybe yes and no.

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn olive, invasive? Maybe yes and no.
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:02:36 -0500

Alan said:  "Hmmm, central NC-  wouldn't be tired old former tobacco farm soil would it?  Maybe old waste sites from coal strip mining?  Fixing N is energy expensive and is only a competitive advantage in poor soils as I understand it."

Well, that is certainly an illuminating idea!  Yes, I have to admit that autumn olive seems to have some advantage on poor sites.  Untended fields in this area are prone to growing a lot of broomsedge, which indicates low pH, low N and low P.   If autumn olive were to move in, I don't think anything would stop it till a forest grew up through it and shaded it out.  Which I have no doubt would happen, given the apparent availability of the N fixed to surrounding plants.      Donna