nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn olive, invasive?

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn olive, invasive?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:16:01 -0400

Alan wrote: " Hmmm, central NC-  wouldn't be tired old former tobacco
farm soil would it?  Maybe old waste sites from coal strip mining?
Fixing N is energy expensive and is only a competitive advantage in poor
soils as I understand it. "

I consider the soil generally poor in the SE Piedmont.

However, on my property, I see the worst invasion in and around my 60
-90 year old mixed hardwood forest. The newly cleared pasture land
(cleared from 60 year old pine forest) where topsoil has been removed
appears less affected. Although this area is bush-hogged regularly so
mature plants would not be present, I do not see as many seedlings
starting as in the forest.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC