nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pollination of high bush cranberry and autumn olive

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pollination of high bush cranberry and autumn olive
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:29:55 -0600

Does anyone have any experience with pollination issues for these plants?

I've got an autumn olive that is about 10 years old and has only had two or three fruits ever! What I've read has indicated that it's self-fertile. Could there be other factors why it's not fruiting? It does flower well. I've planted another variety nearby to see if that makes a difference.

As for the Viburnum trilobum, it isn't native here so there aren't others around to pollinate it. Again, I've had the impression it is self-fertile but it has flowered well two years in a row (it's probably about 5 years old) and has set only two or three fruits. Any experience with this? Guess I'll need to plant another but I'm concerned if there are other issues affecting the fruit set, since it may take another 4 or 5 years to get a new one big enough to do the job.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews