nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon flowering

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon flowering
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:11:00 -0600

Hi, Jerry.

Thanks so much for the very helpful info and picture. I'm not sure how to translate the time from seed to grafted plants. Maybe whatever the rootstock is that has now grown out is female, so the extra time till flowering. Everything seems to be retarded in its growth here at this elevation. I'm pretty sure this plant is at least 7 or 8 years old and maybe older and is barely over my head for the first time this year. Hmm.

The leaves look like in your picture. To me they are just softer and lusher looking than our usual tree leaves, hence "tropical".

My newer persimmons are a named variety that I got on its own roots because my previous attempts to grow them all resulted in the top being killed for several seasons.

Do the female flowers look similar to the male ones?

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews