nafex - [NAFEX] Cell towers and bees, OT again

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cell towers and bees, OT again
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:57:07 -0500

My husband found this article online somewhere.  The trouble is that there is a cell phone tower not much more than a mile from our place, and the honeybees seem to have rebounded very well.  They were actually on white clover this summer, scenes from my childhood.  (Since my teen years were spent in the Florida wilderness)  Oh, it may be that the beekeeper is out of the range of the tower, and that the bees are reasonably  safe at our distance from the tower.  Donna

Something ELSE That May be Killing Bees
04-Sep-2009

Here's another reason why honeybees may be disappearing: the electromagnetic waves given off by cell phone towers may cripple their navigational abilities.

A recent study done in India reveals that a sudden decrease in the bee population in New Delhi is linked to the installation of a series of new cell phone towers there, as phone companies increase their networks. The researchers found that when a cell phone was kept near a beehive, worker bees were unable to find their way home, leaving the hives with only the queens and eggs. The affected bee colony collapsed with 10 days.

The Physorg.com website reports that researcher Sainuddin Pattazhy predicts that If towers and cell phones increase much more, honey bees might be wiped out in 10 years.

  • [NAFEX] Cell towers and bees, OT again, Kieran &/or Donna, 09/04/2009