nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots and Plumcots

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots and Plumcots
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:44:12 -0400

Lon J. Rombough wrote:
And while I'm at it, does anyone know of work to breed hardy plumcots? Most plumcots and their descendants seem to be from California work, but there's no reason there couldn't be crosses between much hardier plums and apricots. Perhaps at some northern breeding program.
-Lon Rombough

I've wondered that myself. I've wondered if it would be possible to cross some of my hardy American Hybrid plums with the best of my Manchurian apricots.
American hybrid plums are notorious for not accepting pollen from each other and only get pollinized by Prunus americana and a few other plums.
My apricots set no fruit most years so doing the cross in that direction wouldn't be easy either. I'm certainly not going to try.
A zone or 2 warmer would be a better place to try. Japanese plums and some of the hardier "real" apricots. It WOULD be interesting.

Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 3 or 4, depending on natures whim.)