nafex - [NAFEX] Corn - ever so sweet

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Corn - ever so sweet
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:09:00 -0700

Bill queries:

And as long as I'm on the (off-topic) subject, I had something eat the
kernels from the tops of almost all of my ears of corn. I assumed that it was
squirrels, but this is inside my electric fence, and I haven't seen any sign
of them elsewhere in the backyard (normally, they'd go for the peaches
first). I'm sure it wasn't opossums or raccoons. None of the ears were torn
from the stalk. (Squirrels will usually try to carry stuff away.) The kernels
were just eaten at the top, and for an
irregular length below that.

My reply:

Corn fed squirrels, season for a week on Winesap apples and acorns -
delicious!

Oh, back to the topic. I am no expert and I don't stay at Holiday Inns but
Is it possible that your ears simply did not fill out all the way. My
limited understanding is each silk is a kernel and each silk needs to be
pollinated to fill out and they develop from the bottom up so you can run out
of pollen at some point in the development etc and have just cob at the top.
This happens a lot on the second (smaller) ear of corn I get on Sugar Dots
and to a much lesser extent on Peaches & Cream (the main crop one not the
early one by the same name). You also can get this if you are growing a
super-sweet and mid pollination a su variety drifts in (once gain my layman
understanding).

Perhaps one of our more experienced corn growers can comment.

The fluffy one (who just went out and picked the last of the Sugar Dots and
some more Peaches and Cream for lunch while waiting anxiously for the
"GottaHaveIt" to mature.)

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Corn - ever so sweet, fuwa fuwa usagi, 08/25/2009