nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OFF-TOPIC - Sweet corn

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OFF-TOPIC - Sweet corn
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:32:46 -0700 (PDT)

Bill,

I thought I'd chime in even though I am by no means a sweet corn expert.
Hopefully someone else will post their thoughts to the list as I am curious
to hear as well. I have no idea what the brown spots are that you are seeing
after you cook. I think if it was frass (the technical term for insect poop)
it would probably be very soft and water-soaked after cooking and probably
wouldn't stick to the kernels. I have had entirely dark kernels show up
after cooking that looked normal before and I've always attributed that to an
old ear that was past it's prime and/or a damaged kernel.

As for the kernels at the top being eaten that is interesting and without
much more info it is hard to say. It could be birds, they will certainly
pick at the ears sometimes but they aren't usually a big problem, and
generally aren't the same ones that go after fruit. Are the ends of the ears
open with the husks pulled away a little bit? There is a caterpillar (Corn
earworm) which will eat the kernels and sometimes silks. Usually it starts
at the tip of the ear (where the egg is laid) and works its way down the ear.
If it was this though, I would expect a significant amount of frass to be
obvious when you first open and pull off the husks. Sometimes European Corn
Borer will eat the tips of the ear but they are more likely to just burrow
into the stalk or the ear of the corn. I think with you being in Nebraska,
your county extension agent probably knows a fair bit about corn and it
wouldn't be too hard to get an answer from them about it. If you
do, I'd be curious to hear.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon