nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Another fig question

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Another fig question
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 05:56:12 -0500

When growing figs in a pot, timely watering is very important. If the tree
lacking enough moisture it will drop the figs. Another thing that can be
happening, if the tree is root bound and in need of repotting, the roots are
not taking enough nutrients and water and that will happen. Some trees will
drop off their figs while young and that's normal if it's still small. I
normally allow 3 years for the fig tree to get large enough to count on its
quality.
I have several small trees in 1 and 3 gallon containers that do drop their
figs. However after that if you're giving it what it needs to thrive, be
prepared to be picking those sweet figs.

Bassem Samaan
Bethlehem, pa
zone 6
www.treesofjoy.com