nafex - [NAFEX] Plum breeding for cold areas

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum breeding for cold areas
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:02:31 -0700

Many years ago I had a mislabeled European plum that I grafted over to a collection of four cold hardy plums. The tree also sits in the midst of a large collection of other European types. The seeds went to someone in Minnesota who grew them out and found several good quality plums that took more than -40 F. He had trouble with root borers and I lost track of him so I don't know if any survived. However, there are two of the varieties left on my multi-graft tree - Mt. Royal and a large hardy type whose name is lost, but is a "Stanley" type.
The Mt. Royal has a good crop this year and I'd be glad to send the seed to someone to grow out. The odds are very good you will get something of decent quality in the offspring.
Remember that European plums take 7 to 12 years to come to bearing from seed, though you could shorten that if you grafted them to mature trees.
If you are interested, contact me offlist.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/

  • [NAFEX] Plum breeding for cold areas, Lon J. Rombough, 08/17/2009