nafex - [NAFEX] Best peach I ever ate

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Best peach I ever ate
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:59:39 -0400

My mid/late peaches, coming in now, are doing very well - it has not rained as much recently. The earlier ones ripening in the rainy period were much more watery.

I haven't been impressed with many peaches compared to nectarines, rain or no I must say. I am trying several dozen peach varieties. The ones I like the most are the older varieties which usually have very small fruits; my favorites in that category so far this year includes Foster, St. John, Rareripe, and Sanguine Tardeva. All of these are very flavorful. I have had two good "modern" peaches so far this year, Clayton and Silver Logan. These two are much larger than the old varieties but still pack a lot of flavor. Now many other peaches are perfectly fine, but any nectarine not picked too early will be better.

Scott