nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cardinals

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cardinals
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 10:22:52 -0500

I find that Cardinals are among the worst pests we have. Not only do they steal our blueberries, figs, tomatoes and even bell peppers are not safe.

They really like my grapes - even green ones - but robins and blue jays are a bigger problem for most of my fruit. And I've never had them bother my tomatoes or peppers, even when I didn't have fruit. Kind of funny how different animals behave in different areas, isn't it?

But when I net my grapes, they still sneak inside, occasionally. And then they'll get caught in the netting. I put a leather glove on my left hand to hold them, while I try to cut the net away with a scissors. But if I don't take care, the cardinal will grab the scissors in its powerful beak - and just hang on. They can really hold on tight! I don't imagine that it would feel very good if they grabbed onto skin...

It's a little harder holding them when I'm wearing a leather glove, but they can't bite through it, so I'd say that it's worth it.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen