nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Juicey Fruit Gum and Voles

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Juicey Fruit Gum and Voles
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:01:43 -0300

> The APPARENT success of the juicy fruit for me has inspired me to see
> if I can set up an experiment on my property to test the method.  <SNIP>>
> -Major apparent limitation:  I will not be able to assess time of
> tunneling.  Alan made the point that tunneling is cyclical so I assume
> that tunnels are abandoned naturally at some point? I may find and
> compare tunnels of very different but unknown age.  All I can think of
> is repeated trials to minimize the tunnel age factor.
>
> For those of you that know meadow voles - are there any other factors
> to consider when I try to match variables between prospective treated
> and control tunnels?

The standard method for determining where to place rodenticide is the "apple test", (which supposedly has been "scientifically validated".)  What you do is to place shingles or bits of wood over or near tunnels, in varous places.  (In the case of pine voles, it is important to prevent light getting in the sides).  After a few days later, when the beasties have had an opportunity to tunnel under them, place a piece of apple under the cover.  Check in 24 hours to see whether the apple has been eaten (or removed entirely).  If not, check again 48 hours later.  If the apple is still untouched after 72 hours, the voles aren't there any longer.
One source I read took this to greater lengths: a meadow vole will eat 20 gm of apple in a day; a pine vole 13 gm.  So, weigh your apple slices, and if you know what kind of vole you have, you can calculate the number of voles you have (multiples of 13 or 20...)
So, do apple tests in various places, and match places that have similar levels of activity, (and don't bother putting out juicy fruit where there is no sign of activity.)