nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Juicey Fruit Gum and Voles

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Juicey Fruit Gum and Voles
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:35:17 -0400

I totally agree Alan. I am just sharing my experience here in central
NC with what I believe are meadow voles based on sightings and tunnel
morphology. I have heavy red clay soil, with a very thin layer (about 1
inch) of topsoil above the clay.

I have seen a temporal relationship between putting out the gum and
apparent abandonment (within 2 weeks or so) of the tunnels. They
collapse over the visible extent of the complex and have not recurred
(so far) in the same area for what has been multiple years now. I
apparently do not have vole damage in my orchard (no girdling,
unexplained decline of fruit trees or low bark damage), although I may
be missing something as I am a novice fruit grower.

I have tried the juicy fruit treatment now in the three separate
locations on my property. Two locations were within 200 feet of each
other in the orchard and occurred 2 years apart. One location was about
100 yards away and occurred 5 years after the first occurrence. Of
course I have evidence of meadow voles in multiple other areas around my
acreage. I only try to control them near my home landscaping and
orchard.

I was actually surprised when I first observed results after a
colleague suggested the method. I have no idea of the mechanism. The
method was presented to me as causing intestinal blockage in the animal
after it feeds, but that seems improbable to me, as I would assume the
animal would nibble at it rather than consume a large bolus of gum.

Maybe it is the god awful smell of the stuff that causes them to abandon
their territory ; -)

Anyway, for what it is worth, no science, just my observations on my
property over an 8 year time span.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC