nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Juicey Fruit Gum and Voles

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Juicey Fruit Gum and Voles
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:01:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2009 10:38:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov writes:

The method was presented to me as causing intestinal blockage in the animal
after it feeds,

This has been, in my opinion, an old wives tale that has been around many years, but started as a fix for moles not voles. I too tried it many years ago and at first thought it worked. The theory was the gum plugged up the intestines.

I believe with moles folks stick the gum in the tunnels and shortly there after they seemed to disappear.  What happens, after spring when the ground dries out they simply tunnel deeper into the ground and the surface tunneling stops or at least is greatly reduced giving the appearance the gum worked. I have trouble believing an animal that eats worms and grubs would eat Juicy Fruit Gum. Now a vole which is  mouse like creature, might eat the gum, but doubt if one did that it would cause an intestinal blockage.

I sooner believe the other writer who suggested the gum's aroma would more likely drive them away.

None of the above is scientific fact!

Jerry