nafex - [NAFEX] Spray Tank Residue

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spray Tank Residue
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:11:11 -0400

Sherwin:

When the addition of a new substance to your spray tank causes a problem, the
finger of suspicion points to that substance, wouldn't you say? The calcium
product normally used on apples is chemically calcium chloride, the same
thing used to de-ice roads, with many other uses in food processing and
industry.

I am not a chemist and cannot provide a molecular explanation, but I would
say your sticker/spreader is precipitating the calcium out of solution and
depositing it on the bottom of your sprayer. The instructions on my calcium
solution call for about 2.5 fluid ounces per gallon, which is quite a bit in
terms of volume. How much cacium solution are you adding to a 2- gallon
sprayer?

I have noticed that sticker/spreader can easily cause sprayer clogging with
any mix when used at the recommended rate, which seems quite high to me.
Consequently, when I use sticker/spreader, I reduce the quantity to about 1/3
that recommended on the label. How many fluid ounces of sticker/spreader are
you using in a 2-gallon mix? My guess is that a reduction of either the
calcium solution or the sticker spreader in your mix would reduce the
deposits in your sprayer by a proportional amount.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA