nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:55:08 -0700

I picked a couple gallons of Serviceberries (saskatoons to you) this year from a local seedling in our back field here in Oregon. We made some pies from them that I'd stack up against a lot of other fruits.
I've said this so many times I'm sure others are tired of it, but the Canadian selections just don't cut it here - they get lots of rust and their growth cycle doesn't fit our locale. The genus is so widespread there should be good selections adapted to lots of places if people would go out and look for them. I didn't even have to go off my property to find two good selections.
-Lon Rombough
http://www.bunchgrapes.com