nafex - Re: [NAFEX] California's screwed tree crops

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] California's screwed tree crops
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:37:49 -0700 (PDT)

The Transition movement is looking to make communities more self sufficient in terms of all basic needs. This is a reaction to "peak oil" rather than global warming. Whether you admit to the fact that oil reserves are more than half gone and use is increasing geometrically or not, the Transition process produces many beneficial effects on local communities, not the least of which is self sufficiency in organic food and clean energy.
As far as climate zones moving south, That is pure PR spin. There may be some areas where this is true because of shifts in the global air and ocean currents, but the trend overall is clearly warming. Certainly here in Southern Louisiana we're a full zone warmer than the USDA map indicates.
My reaction to low chill hours is to grow other species that are adapted to warmer climates such as substituting Equadoran Cherries for Prunus avium etc.
The likeliest causes of famine in the US will be short supplies of fossil fuels and extreme drought/flooding.
Predictions are fallible, but with any large enough group, actuarial science is able to predict trends very accurately. This applies to years and climate change as much as it applies to people and life spans.