nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry runners

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry runners
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:05:58 -0500

Rivka wrote:
"It's fairly standard practice, at least according to most of what I've read on the subject; the old leaves die off after harvest anyway, and it's supposed to reduce disease pressure by having the old leaves break down faster, instead of hanging dead on the plant."

My old leaves don't die off and hang dead on the plant, at least not until fall.  They seem to go right on photosynthesizing and adding energy to the crown, which seems to be key for runner production (at least in my area, NY may be different).

Mark
KS