nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry runners

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry runners
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:45:12 -0500

Brian,

My strawberries have always put out tons of runners. Last year, for the
first time, I decided to renovate the patch. So I mowed immediately after
harvest and fertilized. For the first time, there were hardly any runners.
This year I did my normal routine after harvest, which is, do nothing, and
the strawberries are back to throwing runners profusely. My opinion is,
mowing takes the foliage away, which would otherwise provide energy for the
plant to produce runners.

Mark
KS