nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:23:32 -0400

The level of available nitrogen has a very large effect on a pear tree's susceptibility to fireblight.

About 1986 I saw some old trees of Sheldon which had been partly topworked to Bosc and fertlized with nitrogen to promote growth; the Sheldon branches became heavily infected with fireblight although they had been apparently not significantly bothered by it before.

In 1983 I saw a small block of young Bartlett trees infected with fireblight; the grower said for the first time. He attributed it to his having planted a patch of sweet corn across a farm track from the Bartletts, and having fertlized the sweet corn with nitrogen.

The same grower told me that some years prevously the Geneva station had published recommendations on mineral nutrition to minimize fireblight. I've forgotten most of what he said about it but my recollection is that calcium and magnesium were important.

I've been told that a major reason for the Agriculture Canada program to breed fireblight resistant pears at Harrow, Ontario, was to allow growers to fertlize with nitrogen and increase yield and fruit size; although I understand that the region around Harrow also typically has a worse fireblight problem than the Niagara Peninsula, which is itself bad enough.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Anton Callaway wrote:
I've wondered about the possibility of there being multiple strains of Erwinia
amylovora. For instance, Ethan has reported that 'Spalding' in Houston blights
badly, but here it's almost completely blight-free. I recognize that Houston may
be one of the few places in the country that are hotter & about as humid as
here in piedmont NC. However, I also considered the possibility that his
neighborhood was inhabited by a more virulent bacterial strain.

That is why I was so interested in Dr. Richard Bell's answer to this question
at the NAFEX meeting in Lexington a few years ago. He stated that there
weren't any known strains of significantly differing virulence. If that's
true, then environment becomes the biggest determinant in susceptibility of a
specific pear cultivar. With some exceptions to prove the rule, there is a
blight gradient that worsens as you go south (in the humid Eastern U.S.).
For instance, 'Honeysweet' and 'Megietsu' blight badly here, but are reported
to be quite resistant in the Mid-West.

'Magness' is known to be blight-susceptible in trunk, but resistant in leaves and flowers. So,
like you've observed, it doesn't wall off infections well when they enter the larger limbs (hail
is the classic injury that inoculates trunks). 'Magness' will produce well here for 10-20 years,
but invariably will blight out in an epiphytotic accompanied by hail. [BTW, my spellchecker
suggests, "Madness" for the word, "Magness". Hmmm.]

Anton