nafex - [NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:50:56 -0700

It was written:

The data on fireblight susceptibility of 'Wilder Early' are mixed. I
rather expected my trees to perish quickly when I first grafted them.

My reply:

You might want to consider that fireblight is not a problem rather a series
of problems. Or stated differently it is very likely there are strains of
fireblight.

In my area this infamous Magness does not successfully wall of fireblight, it
consumes the tree. On the other hand Harrow Sweet, Harvest Queen, and
Potomac for wall off fireblight when it occurs. Every Magness in my yard had
been lost to fireblight unless it was branch graft on another tree, i.e I
get a few Magness from my Harvest Queen.

On the other hand plain ol' Bartlett does fine here. So do many blight
susceptible trees.

tfb

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====