nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pears/Fireblight
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 14:39:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I've wondered about the possibility of there being multiple strains of
Erwinia amylovora. For instance, Ethan has reported that 'Spalding' in
Houston blights badly, but here it's almost completely blight-free. I
recognize that Houston may be one of the few places in the country that are
hotter & about as humid as here in piedmont NC. However, I also considered
the possibility that his neighborhood was inhabited by a more virulent
bacterial strain.

That is why I was so interested in Dr. Richard Bell's answer to this question
at the NAFEX meeting in Lexington a few years ago. He stated that there
weren't any known strains of significantly differing virulence. If that's
true, then environment becomes the biggest determinant in susceptibility of a
specific pear cultivar. With some exceptions to prove the rule, there is a
blight gradient that worsens as you go south (in the humid Eastern U.S.).
For instance, 'Honeysweet' and 'Megietsu' blight badly here, but are reported
to be quite resistant in the Mid-West.

'Magness' is known to be blight-susceptible in trunk, but resistant in leaves
and flowers. So, like you've observed, it doesn't wall off infections well
when they enter the larger limbs (hail is the classic injury that inoculates
trunks). 'Magness' will produce well here for 10-20 years, but invariably
will blight out in an epiphytotic accompanied by hail. [BTW, my spellchecker
suggests, "Madness" for the word, "Magness". Hmmm.]

Anton