nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black/Red Raspberry Question

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black/Red Raspberry Question
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 07:16:34 -0700 (PDT)

This is the standard advice that has been given for many many years and it
has to do with diseases, especially viruses. Red raspberries are often
non-symptomatic carriers of a variety of different viruses that negatively
impact black raspberries. Separating them as far as possible (the often
suggested distance is at least 300 feet, which is not feasible for most
people) and destroying all wild growing brambles in the vicinity is supposed
to reduce the risk of spread of these latent infections into highly
susceptible plants.

More info can be found at:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b782/b782_28.html

Michael