nafex - [NAFEX] Black/Red Raspberry Question

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black/Red Raspberry Question
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:46:21 -0500

As many of you know, I sell black raspberry plants. We've all heard of frequently asked questions and the one I hear most often is, "I heard that black raspberries and red raspberries shouldn't be planted close to each other; why is that?"

I'm still wondering. Who could have possibly started/spread that rumor and why?

What I tell customers is, "If you are going to plant bird-planted seedlings, you could get black/red crossed plants." I test most of my seedlings and occasionally one yields purple fruit but I can't see how that might be a problem with most people.

One other possibility is that cane borer infestations are less likely to be noticed among reds because of the multitude of canes and could become a problem in the blacks (blacks typically have fewer canes).

None of my customers could tell from whom they heard the rumor or why. Please; would you venture a guess?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: