nafex - Re: [NAFEX] article on phosphate

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] article on phosphate
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:58:52 -0500

Some years ago for the vegetables course I teach, I tried to summarize a few of Kinsey's key points. Here is part of it

The Problem of Mineral Tie-up
Soils provide nutrients to plant roots because water, soil acidity and microbes make them available to the roots.
A soil can have tons of minerals that aren’t available to the plant.
Many nutrients cease to be available to plant roots if too much of some other mineral is available.
You need to have a balance of nutrients. Too much of one results in too little of something else.
So Kinsey is saying that often soils have lots of a mineral, but it is not available to roots if either naturally or because of something applied to the soil, there is too much of another mineral.

In excess, calcium ties up magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, manganese.
In excess, phosphorous ties up calcium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, iron.
In excess, magnesium ties up calcium and phosphorous
In excess, zinc ties up copper, cadmium, iron and phosphorous.
In excess, copper ties up iron and phosphorous

In excess, sodium ties up potassium.
In excess, potassium ties up sodium, iron, and manganese.
In excess, iron ties up copper, potassium, & phosphorous.
In excess, cobalt ties up iron.
In excess, cadmium ties up copper.
In excess, manganese ties up iron, phosphorous, & potassium

"Share What You Grow and What You Know!"

Bob Randall, Ph.D.
713-661-9737