nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries finished

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries finished
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:21:18 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,
      You sound like you could be my neighbor. It was a record 103 in Tallahassee, FL yesterday and 100 here in Marianna. My blueberries are trying to run out here, too, with just a smattering of fruit left on some bushes. I don't think I have any of the real late-ripeners. I planted them to have about a dozen varieties but when they fruited I found many were mislabeled.
      There are still a few Duncan grapefruit hanging on some trees here. Some have dropped. I find that Duncan wasn't as mild early in the season last year as normal----so they actually taste much better now! Another man I know strll has some pink grapefruit left up high, but I haven't been brave enough in the heatwave to go pick them!
      It's very dry again here--with drip irrigation running. The chance for showers is on the increase, though. Are you in Florida?
                                                      Richard Harrison, NW FL
My Beer's Black/Negronne first crop of figs is gone now. The season lasted about 3 weeks. The next crop looks good, too, but probably won't begin until after Celeste and Green Greek start ripening.