nafex - [NAFEX] Cassis redux

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cassis redux
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:39:46 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen, This was an old message of mine that someone reposted in response
to a new question. The only thing I would add about this recipe -- which is
still pretty much what I use -- is what you are saying:- IT DOES NOT LAST!
Maybe eight months max before it goes stale and the fruit flavor hardens. I
discovered this when I proudly served a Kir to a bunch of people, carefully
using an old bottle of Cassis. I was surprised by the subdued reaction
until I tried it myself.

So, there is a trade-off here between intense fruitiness and keeping
properties. Now that I know, it does not bother me -- I don't make too much
anyway and think of it as a Winter Tonic! Maybe you know of a stabilizer --
I would guess that boiling does the trick but at great cost.

As to your question, I have tried a couple of other fruit-flavored alcohols
but none is close to Cassis. The redcurrant was very pretty but not so good
in taste. I thought about blueberry but have not tried it (the berries are
so great frozen whole) I am planning on trying a pear alcohol this year,
probably from `Golden Spice' which has a very string in flavor.

Richard