nafex - [NAFEX] Planting Elephant Garlic

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting Elephant Garlic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:48:47 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

BULBLETS
Here on the cold edge of zone 7 I plant elephant garlic bulblets in a furrow
about 3 inches deep and then cover with about 4 inches of what ever mulch I
have in excess at the moment; leaf mulch, wood chips, pine needles. My
thinking is that the mulch retains moisture over the summer, since I plant
them at the end of June. Many start to come up by early Fall, but then go
into dormancy during Jan-Feb, then grow fast in March-May, forming large
single bulbs.
BIG CLOVES
I plant these in September in individual holes made with a bulb planter,
probably about 5 inches deep. I then cover them with a few inches of mulch.

People who cook elephant garlic like they do "real" garlic often consider it
too mild - I just slice it fresh and use in salads and salsas or put thin
slices on meat sandwiches - no need to cook it.
The large single bulbs can be roasted in the oven and eaten as you would oven
roasted potatoes or other root vegetables.

Jim Nottke