nafex - Re: [NAFEX] dividing peonies

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] dividing peonies
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:22:54 -0400

On Jun 7, 2009, at 9:44 PM, Jerrydana5@aol.com wrote:

Do to some construction, we had to dig up 3 beautiful peony plants.  They have hardly wilted, despite being out of the ground for 2 weeks due to having lots of soil on the roots.  Now I am ready to re-plant them and I'd like to split the clumps as they are quite large and because I can have twice as many plants.  I remember my folks just splitting peonies by jabbing a shovel thro the middle of the root clump and ending up with two clumps.  Can I do this in the middle of June, with clumps covered with soil?  Or should I leave them as one clump and just replant them as a whole?  jerry in southern Indiana

Peonies are best transplanted and divided in the fall.  Towards the end of the summer they concentrate their energy in the big roots.  Over the winter those roots sprout lots of little feeder roots that are disrupted by spring transplanting.

However, peonies are very tough plants, and I've heard lots of stories about them being successfully moved at other seasons.  Many peony growers believe that big old clumps of peonies transplant better if you divide them, because dividing them rejuvinates them, and young plants are more adaptable.  Of course, that's fall advice.  Still, I think it is probably safe, and maybe even optimal for you to divide your plants before re-planting them.

Best of luck,
Ginda