nafex - [NAFEX] Dead peaches???

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dead peaches???
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:50:59 -0500

Toni Pralle wrote, "I spend all that time and water on them for years and then they die without ever giving me a piece of fruit. How on earth do you people who have orchards do it?"

Some of we people who have orchards take the time and expense to have our soil tested and fertilize as recommended. Orchards that are stressed from a lack of nutrition can't be expected to live long.
Here in North Central Minnesota, I take several soil tests every year for my one-acre orchard and the only plants I lose are those that are intended for a warmer climate after being subjected to one of my severe winters.
Soil tests don't cost! They pay! Visitors to my orchard are just flabbergasted at the amount of fruit this acre produces. Mulching everything with pine needles and having drip irrigation helps too.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: