nafex - [NAFEX] dividing peonies

  • From: Jerrydana5@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] dividing peonies
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:44:33 EDT

Do to some construction, we had to dig up 3 beautiful peony plants.  They have hardly wilted, despite being out of the ground for 2 weeks due to having lots of soil on the roots.  Now I am ready to re-plant them and I'd like to split the clumps as they are quite large and because I can have twice as many plants.  I remember my folks just splitting peonies by jabbing a shovel thro the middle of the root clump and ending up with two clumps.  Can I do this in the middle of June, with clumps covered with soil?  Or should I leave them as one clump and just replant them as a whole?  jerry in southern Indiana