nafex - Re: [NAFEX] chemical vs organic [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: "ADAMSON, Karl" <Karl.Adamson@apvma.gov.au>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] chemical vs organic [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:53:06 +1000

Donna,
Nice article. I use pesticides only where I have no other choice, like
all the tools of science they can be used well, but unfortunately are
frequently misused. To further this point I'd like to cite a quote
written in 1943 "Artificial Manures, or, The conservation and use of
organic matter for soil improvement" p 59. (I love the titles of old
books!)

In speaking quite critically on the subject of biodynamics the author
states "No information is offered as to the composition of the
preparations (biodynamic formulae). Preparations are recommended also
for the control of insect pests and plant diseases instead of the more
orthodox lead, arsenic and copper compounds generally advocates by
modern entomologists and plant pathologists."

Well I guess the font of knowledge has moved location since that
statement! So who knows, in another 50 years we may be saying the same
thing about a lot of the chemicals we currently use. Times change and
hopefully in the process we become a better more learned society.

Karl

IMPORTANT: This email may contain confidential or privileged information.
If
you are not the addressee you may not copy, use or rely on the contents of
this
email or any attachment. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
transmission.