nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees under powerlines

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees under powerlines
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:14:52 -0500

Next to the orchard is a field alternately planted in soybeans and corn. I've never been able to see an increase in height under the lines. I don't have access to harvest records therefore have no idea about production increase or decrease under the lines.

That's why I've always questioned this claim, too. Here in Nebraska, transmission lines cross and border crop fields all over the place, but I've never noticed any difference in the nearby plants. I don't know if it's been scientifically studied, but there's no obvious difference, that I could ever see.

And farmers tend to be very unhappy about new transmission lines crossing their land. If it actually boosted yields, you'd think they'd welcome them (certainly along the edges of their fields). Well, there are other considerations, too, no doubt.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A study by researchers at the University of Utah proves what many people have long suspected: Everyone talking on a cell phone, except you, is a moron. - Dave Barry