nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Of melons and dreams...

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Of melons and dreams...
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:10:14 -0400

On Jun 11, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Kieran &/or Donna wrote:

One of the things I read about melons interested me greatly. They have a
reputation for preferring sandy soil. Turns out that they need it to make
strong cell walls for what is essentially a bag of sugar water. If you
don't already have sandy soil, I suggest you invest in a few bags of nice
sand to pour around your plant's stems and roots. Consider also that if we
are talking about a plant that obviously came from some sandy place, it's
also likely to need good drainage. I am thinking of eggplants, they want
sandy soil because they want BOTH plenty of moisture but NOT to have too
much water around their stems and roots.

I have grown some very good melons on soil with quite a bit of clay in it (eggplants also).

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly