nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer eating persimmons?

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer eating persimmons?
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 19:13:33 -0400

On 07.06.2009 18:20 Lucky Pittman spoke thusly:
> At 12:19 PM 6/6/2009, Jerry wrote:
>> Do deer eat persimmon trees? I've got about 6 real nice small
>> trees. We have heavy deer pressure. To my surprise, it appears they
>> have not touched the leaves on the sprouts, which are about 4 feet
>> tall. I know they love the fruit. But it appears, from my
>> experience, that they do not like the leaves. Is that true? Jerry
>> in southern Indiana
>
> Jerry,
> The hooved rats here in southern west-central KY are not very
> discerning - they'll eat new growth on young persimmons - they
> especially like the new shoots on the current year's grafts (GRRRR!) -
> as well as apples, pears, mulberries, pecans, hickories.
> I knew I didn't kill enough of the damned things last winter, but I'll
> work a little harder at it next time around. Took me about a grand
> total of 20 minutes 'hunting' to bag 3 big does. I'll spend at least
> an hour at it this fall.
>
> Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
> Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
> Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
> Hopkinsville, KY

Hmm, on a "good" day I can walk out my front door and see up to eight
standing 20 feet from the house. They basically eat any and every thing
they can get to. And they seem to have a particular fondness for fruit
trees and tomato plants...although they have (so far) left the
blueberries completely alone.
Chris
Central NC