nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer eating persimmons?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer eating persimmons?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:06:46 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

In general, persimmons are largely ignored by deer. However, deer that have
learned to associate poeple with food will eat persimmon trees. The Fuyu
persimmon that I planted in the territory of one such deer herd was killed
from repeated severe browsing. This same herd has sampled everything that I
have planted in their territory, even highly toxic plants like foxglove
(though they didn't try that one more than once!).

Wild persimmons are unharmed by these deer.

Anton
Zone 8
Last of the pie cherries ripe today. Happy birds.