nafex - [NAFEX] Pitted pears

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pitted pears
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 23:39:23 -0400

Moments ago I wrote that we seem to be on track to have a good pear year, here.
So what causes many of my pears (later in the summer)to have a big pit on one side? It looks like a "sting" on one side of the pear and that point doesn't grow. By the time the pear is half grown the pit is obvious.
I think I once tried to look this up and possibly this is caused by tarnished plant bug. I don't usually think of tarnished plant bugs being high up in a tree but I suppose there's no reason to think that.
What ever causes it, can it be prevented by a simple spray (or two or three) of Sevin? Any idea of when to spray? I haven't yet figured out when the damage is actually inflicted.

Steve in the Adirondacks