nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cherries

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cherries
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 15:33:25 -0700 (PDT)

I can't speak from experience, but my research indicates that mazzard cherries are highly variable in size and quality. Some very good ones exist that have large fruit and small pits, while others are bitter or astringent. Mostly I'm concentrating on cherries that are good to zone 10-11 because I don't have the chilling down here to allow me to grow the standard varieties of prunus. There seem to be some good ones out there, but the myrobalan plum seems to be the only plum that even stands a chance here. I guess I'll have to pony up and give it a try.
You could always try getting the Evans to root themselves by burying the graft. Seems that was a popular topic a while back on the list.