nafex - [NAFEX] hard frost

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hard frost
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 12:47:08 -0500

26 F last night. Had to scrape ice off car windows this morning.
Frost destroyed my second planting of tomatoes and peppers. I
planted 46 black raspberry canes of every variety I could buy- total
number of canes. All the leaves died. Red raspberry leaves are OK.
Scout apricot leaves look damaged. We have plenty of water maybe too
much but it is cold. When you plant trees and bushes from the wrong
zone you have to expect disaster. The black raspberries might grow
back from the roots. Even Ft Kent King blackberry leaves were
frozen. Strawberry plants are undamaged.

zone 2/3 with emphasis on the 2

  • [NAFEX] hard frost, Ernest Plutko, 06/06/2009