nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 13:04:10 -0500

Stupid question here, but how do you prune them to a weep?

Diane Porter
dporter@lisco.com
Birdwatching Dot Com
http://www.birdwatching.com
Birdwatching is your lifetime ticket to the theater of nature.

On May 30, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

The only mulberry I grow here is Illlinois Everbearing and it too has a mysterious tendency to check out with no suicide note. Sometimes they get canker that I've never identified that kills the trees in a few years and sometimes they just don't come out of winter. At least they often send up suckers from the roots when this happens so you can graft a new tree. They are susceptible to scale so oil may be in order.

They are impossible for me to keep in a small space but you can keep them in-bounds by pruning them to a weep and summer pruning them once a season- removing all vigorous upright growth. They make beautiful trees managed this way and you keep a lot of fruit in ladderless reach.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----