nafex - [NAFEX] Solar Trees

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <gardenwriters@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Solar Trees
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:59:30 -0500

This was in this week's Green Talk's ezine from Ball Publishing.
Doreen Howard

Could Solar Trees Be the Next Step?

I was sitting here, with a view of sun-soaked maple leaves, when I read this: "Company wants to Produce Solar-Powered Trees." While trees are pretty good at absorbing solar energy, the real story is actually about a company, Solar Botanic, that's trying to create fake plastic trees with leaves that have three different power-generating devices. The jury is still out on whether or not they'll be successful at finding an efficient AND attractive alternative to solar panels, but don't be surprised if your photosynthesizing nursery stock suddenly have a few technological companions