nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ure pear question

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ure pear question
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

Jim, I don't know for sure whether Ure is self-sterile, but guess it is. My
experience with it is similar to yours. Mine is growing in the best
location in my Pear Orchard, next to a Golden Spice a SummerCrisp and a
Luscious, all four bloom profusely (Ure first) and the other three set
heavily -- even this cool Spring. However so far I have scored about 4 Ure
pears in 4 years of flowering. This year looks better but it is still a
very light set. Maybe it needs a few more years. Mine is youngish, but at
13 years in the ground not so young! I have a (small) branch of `Early
Gold' -- which is a seedling of Ure I believe -- on the Golden Spice (just
4 years since grafting) and it has produced several times more fruit than
the Ure! I have had more fruit (and quite good) from an Anjou which is not
supposed to be hardy here.

Richard

Z 3b/4a VT.

> Are Ure pears self sterile? Mine gets thousands of flowers, attracts
> bees but only sets a few dozen (sometimes fewer) fruits. I'd consider
> grafting other varieties onto it for cross pollination however it blooms
> before other varieties, trees that are located some distance away.
>
> Jim Fruth
> Brambleberry Farm
> Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
> For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
> www.jellygal.com
> 1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
> 1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

  • [NAFEX] Ure pear question, Jim Fruth, 06/05/2009
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [NAFEX] Ure pear question, rmelrose, 06/05/2009