nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mangos

  • From: growyourown@earthlink.net
  • To: Hector Black <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mangos
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 20:07:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I have long been a Mango fan searching out different varieties. There are
hundreds in the world but only a few available to us in the states through
commercial sources. The unfortunate thing is that 99.9 percent are Tommy
Atkins. There best quality is that they stand up to the rigors of storage and
transport.
Your best resource is to have a friend in south florida who grows them and
can ship you some. There is a Mango conference and or festival every july I
believe at the Fairchild botanical garden. Each year they focus on a dif.
countries varieties. I have never been but have always threatened to go as a
birthday gift to myself.i think Rob Hamilton has gone. At least we have
talked about it anyway.
I will urge people who have a whole foods in there area to check in on them
in late summer. They have a deal to sell Kiett mangos from a grower in The
Coachella valley of California. Below I have provided a link. I have had them
and they are divine.

Mark
SW Ohio
Strawberries wrapping up,amelanchier and cherries in full swing