nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mangos - no strings!

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mangos - no strings!
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:54:53 -0400

I love mangoes. The first time I ate one, I ate it like a peach and got
a mouth full of strings. I finally learned to eat them when I lived in
Hawaii. There, the locals slice the fruit in approximate thirds, right
alongside the seed. Then, they score the fruit into cubes, holding the
skin side down in your hand. the cubes can be enjoyed straight from the
skin, or can be spooned out of the skin to use in a salad.

I found a web site that demonstrates the technique. Virtually
stringless fruit!

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipesstepbystep/ss/howtocutamango.htm

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC